MCT oil (due to its characteristic structure) is easily digestible and easily absorbed. It is therefore the best source of so-called fast energy. When supplemented regularly, it has many positive effects. Among other things, it allows for effective weight reduction (compared to other sources of good fat, MCT oil contains approximately 10% fewer calories). In addition, the product shows neuroprotective, antibacterial and antiviral properties. It can also support the digestive system and improve the efficiency of nutrient absorption. If you are unsure how to use MCT oil, read the article to the end.
MCT oil how to use?
A ketogenic diet should include both saturated and unsaturated sources of fat. Unsaturated fats (so-called healthy fats) should be the basis of the diet, but saturated fats should not be forgotten. MCT oil is an example of saturated fat.
As a supplement, it is most often available in liquid form, while being completely tasteless and odourless. Thanks to the characteristics indicated, it can be an ingredient in almost any recipe. It is also great as a substitute for classic olive oil.
How to use MCT oil? Amongst other things, the product is excellent for:
- dressing. Olive oil-based salad dressings are often too intense. MCT oil clearly neutralises the overwhelming flavours of oils and improves the taste of the meal.
- carbohydrate dishes. When supplementing carbohydrates, ensure that only high-quality products are included in the menu, including rice, pumpkin and sweet potatoes. Combined with MCT oil, they will provide a long-lasting feeling of satiety: in this case, the main source of energy will be fat .
- smoothies. Smoothies and shakes based on fresh (or frozen) fruit satisfy hunger for a fairly short time. This is due to the relatively rapid drop in blood sugar levels. To prevent this, it is important to opt for fruit with a low GI (glycaemic index). The addition of quality fats (MCTs) is also essential.
- Bulletproof coffee. MCT oil is a key ingredient in so-called Bulletproof coffee. Bulletproof is a drink that combines traditional coffee, ghee butter (clarified butter) and MCT oil.
It is important to note that MCT oil is designed to be used cold. The product has a low smoke point, hence it cannot be used for frying.
When to use MCT oil?
It seems that the most popular reason for using MCT oil is to support the ketosis process when following a ketogenic diet. However, so-called healthy fats should be reached for more often. When to use MCT oil? Among others, in other low-carbohydrate diets and as a quick energy boost for athletes. The product makes it easier to achieve macronutrient goals. It also speeds up the process of the body entering a state of ketosis.
It is recommended that MCT oil is used in the morning, as its primary purpose is to provide significant amounts of energy. Taking the product in the evening may cause sleep problems.
How much MCT oil can I drink per day?
The available research does not report clearly enough how much MCT oil one needs to drink per day to notice specific health and metabolic benefits. Sources report between 50 and 70 g of the product per day. However, systematic supplementation should be preceded by a period of adaptation. According to the scheme:
- for the first 3 or 4 days, do not take more than 1 tablespoon of MCT oil. After this time, the suggested amount should be increased to 2 tablespoons.
At the same time, you should not exceed 6-7 tablespoons of MCT oil per day (60-100 ml).
MCT oil – before or after training?
Studies show that one of the most important potential benefits of systematic MCT oil intake is a significant improvement in sports performance . The energy derived from MCT fatty acids makes it possible to increase the intensity of exercise, while maintaining normal (constant) glycaemic levels. At the same time, the ketone bodies produced in a state of ketosis support brain function by, among other things, stimulating mitochondrial production . Hence, MCT oil should be taken approximately 15-20 minutes before training, with C6 and C8 MCT oils considered the most beneficial types of MCT oil for athletes.
Benefits of MCT oil resulting from regular use
MCT oil is a valuable addition to reducing and ketogenic diets, supporting adaptation to ketosis, stabilising blood sugar levels and preventing energy drops. It is particularly beneficial for physically active people, providing sustained energy during training, conserving muscle glycogen and improving performance. If you would like to learn more about the benefites of MCT oil and the benefits of supplementation, please read our detailed post on the subject.